Pages

Saturday 26 July 2014

A sad day .....

Today we had to say goodbye to our little Jack Russell "Patch" - she's battled liver disease since she was 18 months old but had really deteriorated over the past 2 weeks. She had 2 sleepovers at the vets this week Mon & Tues with IV fluids and an ultrasound on Tues that showed she had such a tiny liver she couldn't metabolise the toxins in her blood stream. The IV fluids made her "better" but there's no quality of life staying on them forever (plus the cost); so we made the decision on Wednesday to bring her home and give her some quality of life - we were hoping for more than 24 hours but it wasn't meant to be. She was just adorable on Thursday; "helping" to bring the logs in and to garden but a poorly little dog on Friday - not eating at all and hardly drinking. We knew "our" vet would be available today so I made an appointment and we took her in first thing this morning and had her put to sleep......









It was easier for me than when we had Holly put to sleep because I wasn't on my own, I had DH with me for support plus because she was such a little dog we got to hold her while she was given the medication. We also got to bring her home wrapped in a blanket. We put her into her bed and then left her on our bed for a while while we all got to say goodbye and then we buried her in the chook pen next to Holly.
She definitely had "small dog syndrome" and just loved the sun or sitting in front of the fire and "toasting" - we only had her for 8.5 years but she was truly loved and a very dear part of our family. 




I'm writing this with a heavy heart and a gap next to me - if she wasn't in front of the fire she sat in my chair with me......
Hugz
Melanie
xxx 

15 comments:

Jo said...

Oh no. That's not very good. I feel so sad for you.
I hope tomorrow you will feel much better

Susan said...

Tears in my eyes as I read your post. Really feeling for you all. X

KimM said...

Oh, Melanie! I am so sad to hear this - I understand, too well, how much you are aching. Know she is waiting for you and watching over you.
hugs
xxx

Shauna said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Maria said...

So sorry for your loss, Patch will be sadly missed by all but I am sure you have many happy memories of her.

CathyC said...

sending hugs :)

Noela said...

Very sorry to read about your much loved pet. It is very hard to say goodbye but the memories you have will always be with you. Big hugs.....

Carrie P. said...

so sorry to hear about your little pup. It is hard I know.

Anonymous said...

oh mel i am sorry sorry you have lost your furry pal,RIP little friend.xx

debbie said...

*cry*
hugs xxxxxxx
debbie

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Big hug...so very sorry...

Christine said...

Such little creatures leave a big hole in our lives when we have to say goodbye.

Karen said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how they capture a special place in your heart. We put down our Jack Russell "Tasha" a week ago. She also had cancer but we had her for 17 years. We had her cremated so in some ways she is still with us. I know we both will miss our special dogs for awhile. Sending you a hug.

Motherdragon's Musings said...

I am sitting here having my breakfast, tears welling in my eyes, oh Melanie, my heart goes out to you.
Warm hugs xo

Cheryll said...

Such a sad time... As they really do become part of the family don't they...
Hugs to all...xox